The Sudanese Army, on Saturday, pledged it would help secure evacuation of foreign diplomats and nationals amid Sudan’s deadly clashes between the army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
According to an Army statement, its General Commander, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, received calls from leaders of a number of countries requesting the evacuation of their nationals and diplomats.
“Al-Burhan agreed to provide the necessary assistance to secure this,” the statement said.
The army said the United States, Britain and France said they would “immediately” evacuate their diplomats and nationals from the Sudanese capital Khartoum.
The Saudi diplomatic mission had earlier left Sudan, headed back to the kingdom while Jordan would evacuate its diplomats later, the statement said.
Read Related News:
Sporadic clashes took place on Saturday morning around the Republican Palace and in areas south of Khartoum.
This was in spite of a truce declared by the two conflicting sides, according to eyewitnesses.
Sudan has been witnessing deadly armed clashes between the Sudanese Army and the RSF in Khartoum and other areas since April 15.
The two sides are accusing each other of initiating the conflict.
Until Friday, the clashes left over 400 people dead and about 3,500 wounded, according to the Sudanese health ministry. (Xinhua)
Do you have a flair for Citizenship Journalism? Share story(ies) of happenings in your area with The NewsZenith on WhatsApp: 08033668669 or email@example.com