At least 50 people sustained injuries after a magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck Türkiye’s northwestern province of Duzce early Wednesday.
The injured were treated in hospitals in Duzce and nearby regions, Interior Minister, Suleyman Soylu, told the Turkish television channel NTV.
Soylu added that one person sustained serious injury after jumping from a balcony out of panic.
Reports say there was no heavy damage to buildings but the region experienced a power cut.
Power was, however, restored to some neighbourhoods.
Soylu spoke to reporters in Golyaka, the centre of the earthquake in Duzce, 200 kilometres east of Istanbul, the country’s largest city.
Health Minister, Fahrettin Koca, said at least 22 people sustained injuries, including one seriously, in the earthquake.
The NTV showed footage of people rushing out of buildings in panic and waiting on the streets wrapped in blankets.
The earthquake happened at 4.08 a.m. local time (0108 GMT).
The Turkish Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said it recorded 106 aftershocks since then.
Schools would close on Wednesday in Duzce and Sakarya provinces, Turkish authorities said.
Previously, a massive magnitude 7.2 earthquake hit Duzce province in 1999, which killed around 800 people.
Do you have a flare for Citizenship Journalism? Share story(ies) of happenings in your area with The NewsZenith on WhatsApp: 08033668669 or firstname.lastname@example.org