By Our Correspondent
Ademoye Adewale, a food vendor, contracted by Chrisland School to prepare snacks for its students during inter-house sports, has denied his tools caused electrocution of its student, Whitney Adeniran.
Adewale made the denial told a Corona inquest during cross-examination before the Corona, Mrs Oyenike Fajana, on Monday in Lagos.
He said that his machine meant for the snacks was not in use at the time the 12-year-old student of the school slumped and died.
The NewsZenith recalls that Whitney died during the school’s inter-house sports on Feb. 9 at Agege Stadium, Lagos.
The vendor was to produce snacks such as candy floss, popcorn, shawarma, and barbecue, among others for students.
Responding to family counsel, Femi Falana’s question, Adewale said he had been a registered vendor at Agege Stadium since 2013.
He said the school officials came to inspect the stadium prior to the inter-house sports.
The vendor further said his machine was three years old and had a Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON) cap certification.
He also said that the stadium was his source of electricity to power his machine.
Referring to paragraph 18 of the witness’ statement in evidence, Falana asked if Adewale was an expert to conclude that the deceased was not electrocuted.
“To my understanding and observation, the student did not die of electrocution because she was five centimetres away from where I mounted my machine.
“And, I believe the autopsy was erroneous,” Adewale said.
Asked if he had conducted an autopsy before, or witnessed where one was carried out, Adewale said no.
Also, Mr Seun Akinde, the Lagos State Counsel, asked Adewale how his attention was drawn to the incident.
From where he sat and waiting for directive to produce the snacks, Adewale said he looked up and saw a crowd of students and teachers.
Read Related News:
Police arraign Septuagenarian for allegedly maltreating widow
Ekweremadu : NiDCOM pleads for compassion
Police confirm arrest of suspended Adamawa REC
“I went there and met a student on the ground.
“Two minutes later, school nurse came and they moved the deceased through a passage to back of the stadium.
“I left the place and returned to my stand.
“And the next day, I heard via social media that the student had died.
Chief Bolaji Ayorinde, Counsel to Chrisland School, asked if the witness if the Police had detained pertaining to the case.
He said the Police invited him to give his account but later detained him for 24 days after.
Ayorinde also asked if the Police showed any report that the machine was ineffective or malfunctioning and he responded in the negative.
Mrs Bimpe Ajegbomogun, counsel to Adewale, asked if he was aware of any other electrocution on that day after the incident, Adewale said no.
The coroner, thereafter, asked why the Investigating Police Officer (IPO) was not in court.
Akinde, the State counsel said the court should summoned the IPO on one of the adjourned dates.
Fajana, in the absence of any objections, adjourned the matter until May 22,
The Lagos State Government, based on the Post Mortem Report it received on the cause of death, said that the student died of Asphyxia and electrocution.
The Lagos State University Teaching Hospital issued the Post Mortem Report, dated March 1.
Do you have a flair for Citizenship Journalism? Share story(ies) of happenings in your area with The NewsZenith on WhatsApp: 08033668669 or firstname.lastname@example.org