The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it is ready to prosecute 200 electoral crime suspects in the 2023 general elections.
Rotimi Oyekanmi, the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, announced this at the weekend in Abuja.
Oyekanmi said the commission had received more than 50 case files from the Police authorities.
“There are over 200 accused persons set for prosecution.
Read Related News:
“The commission has directed its Litigation and Prosecution Department to study the files and advise it on the prosecution.
“The department has begun action and as soon as it finishes, it will revert to the commission accordingly,” he said.
The NewsZenith recalls that the Inspector General of Police (IG) last month, directed Commissioners of Police in States to conclude investigations in cases of violations against the Electoral Act swiftly concluded.
He directed that case files of violation during the Feb. 25 general elections must be forwarded to the INEC for prosecution.
Do you have a flair for Citizenship Journalism? Share story(ies) of happenings in your area with The NewsZenith on WhatsApp: 08033668669 or firstname.lastname@example.org