By Our Correspondent
Amb. Andrew Idi, Nigeria’s Consul General(CG) to South Africa says there was no Nigerian casualty during the underground gas explosions in Johannesburg last week.
The NewsZenith reports that gas explosion rocked Bree and Rissik streets, the commercial hub in Johannesburg on July 19.
“I sent a team to visit the incident scene and they reported that the incident did not affect any of our nationals.
“To God be the glory, in spite of the extensive damage caused to the area and high level of traffic at that time.
“Reports so far received by the Consulate General said no Nigerian was a victim,” Idi said.
According to him, residents and businesses in the streets have due to the extensive damage arising from the explosion.
Read Related News:
“The government has cordoned off the areas. They have also begun investigation on the site.
“They want to establish the integrity of physical structures in the affected areas before allowing people to return to their houses.
“It’s only the expert team doing the investigation that is allowed in the areas.”
The CG said reports from the South African government showed that one person died while 48 others sustained injuries.
He said the Consulate is on top of the situation to ensure the safety of Nigerians living in affected areas.
Do you have a flair for Citizenship Journalism? Share story(ies) of happenings in your area with The NewsZenith on WhatsApp: 08033668669 or email@example.com