The Sudanese Army, on Wednesday, said it agreed to the initiative proposed by the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD).
The initiative includes extending the current truce for a week.
It also provides for naming a representative from each side to discuss the truce, according to a statement.
“As part of its initiative to deal with the country’s current crisis, the IGAD offered a new proposal including extending the current truce for a week and naming a representative from each side to discuss the truce,” the statement said.
“The Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) expressed acceptance of the proposal.
“But the acceptance is based on the principle of African solutions to the issues of the continent.
“It is also in consideration for humanitarian aspects of our citizens, taking into account the ongoing American-Saudi initiative,” SAF added.
Read Related News:
It stressed that it hopes the other party would abide by the requirements of the proposed truce.
The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has not yet commented on the IGAD initiative.
Fighting between the SAF and the RSF in Khartoum and other areas erupted on April 15.
The two sides are accusing each other of initiating the conflict, which has pushed the country to the edge of a humanitarian crisis.
According to UN statistics, thousands of Sudanese citizens have been displaced or forced to seek refuge in safe areas in Sudan and neighbouring countries, including Egypt, Ethiopia and Chad.
So far, the clashes have left more than 550 people dead and 4,926 others wounded, according to the Sudanese Health Ministry. (Xinhua)
Do you have a flair for Citizenship Journalism? Share story(ies) of happenings in your area with The NewsZenith on WhatsApp: 08033668669 or email@example.com